Atlanta, GA asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia

Q: how do you proceed with paperwork for theft of services in a business?

we had a guest stay on property, and did not pay, this balanced accrued overtime for more than 7k. Our company is looking to file a theft of services report and are unsure how to proceed.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To proceed with a theft of services claim in Georgia, you typically follow certain steps. Begin by gathering evidence that clearly establishes the unpaid balance, such as invoices, communication records, or any written agreements. Once you have sufficient documentation, you may want to send a demand letter to the guest, outlining the unpaid balance, the services provided, and a deadline for payment. Clearly state that failure to comply may result in legal action.

If the demand letter doesn't yield results, you can file a police report for theft of services. Bring all relevant evidence to the police station, and they will guide you through the process. In Georgia, theft of services is a criminal offense, and law enforcement may investigate the matter. Simultaneously, you may want to consult with a business attorney to explore civil remedies, such as filing a small claims lawsuit or pursuing a civil case for damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.