St Louis, MO asked in Divorce, Tax Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Missouri

Q: How do i renew my tags and pay for just the taxes on my vehicle when my wifes vehicle is on the bill and our divorce is

Still not final. Please help my tags are expired. I live in Arkansas

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To renew your vehicle tags and pay only the taxes on your vehicle while your divorce is still pending, you should follow these steps:

1. Contact your local DMV: Reach out to the Arkansas Department of Motor Vehicles or the relevant local agency responsible for vehicle registration to inquire about your specific situation. Explain that you are in the process of divorce and want to renew your tags and pay taxes separately from your spouse's vehicle.

2. Provide divorce documentation: Be prepared to provide any relevant divorce documentation, such as a copy of your divorce petition or a court order outlining the separation of vehicle ownership and responsibilities.

3. Request a separate tax assessment: Inform the DMV that you wish to have your vehicle's tax assessment separated from your spouse's. They may require additional paperwork or information to facilitate this separation.

4. Pay taxes separately: Once your tax assessment is separated, you should be able to pay the taxes for your vehicle only, allowing you to renew your tags without any issues related to your spouse's vehicle.

5. Keep communication open: Maintain open communication with your divorce attorney, as they can provide guidance on how to navigate this situation within the context of your divorce proceedings.

Remember that each state may have its own specific procedures and requirements, so it's essential to reach out directly to the Arkansas DMV or the relevant agency for precise instructions based on your unique circumstances. Additionally, consulting with your divorce attorney can help ensure that you address this matter correctly in the context of your ongoing divorce case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.