Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: Never received wages that my W-2 says I earned. Is this something I take to a legal department or the company itself?

I never received a paycheck from a place I worked for only one day and I assumed it was because I was still training. I just received a W-2 from them saying I did earn wages but I never received them despite setting up direct deposit. Who would I contact about this, some legal department or the... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Jan 26, 2020

A business’s legal department is the business itself. I suggest contacting the HR or payroll person at the business.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: 3 years ago i accidently pulled out money from my ira retirement account and moved it to a savings account.

irs is demanding that i pay taxes on this amount---is there any way i can make this a distrubution for this tax year ?

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Sep 11, 2019


1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: What do I do if I want a piece of land to put a camper on for the best price I plan on putting a garden on it and living

On it as a forever residence could there be a way to pay an owners unpaid property tax and gain a title to the land that way

Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum answered on Jul 31, 2019

You can purchase property at a tax sale. But you will need to consult an attorney familiar with the process of getting the deed to the land in your name.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: What should I do if I am not notified of my inheritance within the 60 day time frame period ...

Family is not close greed appears to motivate wondering if am in need of lawyer to insure protection of inheritance or does said trust document do that and chips basically fall as they may based on the scum at hand ?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 2, 2019

You appear to be looking in the right direction: Hire a lawyer experienced in trust law and probate law.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: my brother has his trailer on my property he stopped paying his personal property taxes now they said i haveto paythetax

am i responsible for this??

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 6, 2019

Unless someone pays the personal property taxes the state or county will place tax liens on the trailer.

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: If I lived in a house for 13 years and it was three years behind on taxes and the owner decided he didn't want it and it

If it Sold for back taxes do I as a tennant since I've been there for 13 years have more rights than anybody on the purchase

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 21, 2019

No. Unless the new owner wants to rent to their house to you, you have no rights to continue living in their house.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: If one spouse filed chapter 13 is there a way for the other to keep their tax return if filing jointly?

Would I just file normally? Or would I have to file an innocent or injured spouse form?

Most of the deductions comes from the spouse not in bankruptcy.

John Martin Hilla
John Martin Hilla answered on Feb 1, 2019

This is a question that may be a matter of local practice. You'll want to consult a bankruptcy attorney in your geographic area.

Where I practice, in Detroit, a non-filing spouse filing a tax return jointly with a filing Chapter 13 debtor will be allowed to retain their 50% of the joint...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: Trying to get divorced, but neither of us has filed taxes for several years. Can we estimate debt on the forms?

We are amicable and want to work together to get this done. We're not sure what we owe in taxes, so we're not sure what to put down for debts on the dissolution of marriage form. Also, will she have any trouble changing her name because of this? We don't have much property (basically we each have a... Read more »

Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench answered on Sep 7, 2018

One way to go about this would be to talk to a CPA about filing for the years you missed before you divorce. You may owe or you may be due a refund, but it could be easier to figure out how that should be handled with more information. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) of IRA?

I took my required minimum distribution (RMD)from my qualified retirement account (simple IRA) early in April the year before the RMD was required. The next year (year it is required to start withdrawing) can I wait until December 31st?

Eric Steven Day
Eric Steven Day answered on Jul 8, 2018

Your required minimum distributions are determined on an annual basis. Therefore, if you took the distribution last year and are trying to include that distribution as part of your required minimum distribution for the following year, it won’t work. There is a different equation that is used... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: Wife of 1 year of marriage. Husband not paid Federal or State taxes for 3 or more years. I did not know. Am I liable?

My husband owns and operates his own jewelry store in Rolla Mo. Sells consignment jewelry, custom makes own jewelry and sells, repairs jewelry. My husband has not paid Federal or State taxes for over 3 years. I didn’t know until this tax year. Has had business for 37 years. He told me that for... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on May 2, 2018

Never file a joint return with your husband and do not participate in his business in any way. You are going to have to be very careful about having any joint assets with your husband as his half will be subject to seizure if/when the IRS or State catches up with him. I think it would be to your... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce, Family Law and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: If the receiving parent refuses to work (legally) & doesn't file taxes, what can the paying parent do ?

My husband makes good money, but his ex wife refuses to hold down a real job. She hasn't filed her taxes either, claiming "She doesn't work". This of course throws the income levels off balance and she is fighting for more child support. One child has aged out and it is time to modify the support,... Read more »

Janet Sanders
Janet Sanders answered on Apr 25, 2018

Father may introduce proof the Mother is employed. He may also request the Court impute an income to her based upon her earning capacity. This is not the amount she earns; it is the amount she could earn if she did work. This determination takes into consideration her education, licenses,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Family Law and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: I pay child support monthly no back arrearage, and I have no parental rights can I write it off as a charitable donatin

I have paid Child Support for about 4 years now. I have no access to my child as i was backed in to a corner to give up rights. I still pay Child Support! can I start writing the donations off as a tax deduction or what can I do about that its starting to feel like I am giving a charitable... Read more »

Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner answered on Feb 12, 2018

You cannot right it off as a charitable donation, because it is a court ordered obligation, not something you elect to pay. However, you can include it into your taxes as part of your expenses. It is not possible to actually give up rights to your child without someone else taking your place;... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: What is considered Community Property given this information. Please include tax law and any legal code in your answer.

Primary states involved: Arizona, Missouri

Man: Resident of Arizona

Woman: Resident of Maryland

Woman: Employed in the state of Missouri, owns house in Missouri where she lives (currently domiciled)

Couple: Domicile in Missouri

Marriage License and... Read more »

Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench answered on Jan 29, 2018

I see that nobody has answered your question, but I am going to attempt to give you some information.

I am not entirely sure from the question what your mean when you say "community property", but Missouri isn't what is legally known to be a community property state so we don't use those...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: I am looking for a pro bono tax attorney

My bank account has just recently been seized by the IRS for 40,000 in back taxes.

Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn answered on Jun 15, 2017

I suggest contacting your local Low Income Taxpayer Clinic. You can find a listing of them in your area by following this link to the Low Income Taxpayer Clinic Map:

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Gov & Administrative Law, Business Law and Business Formation for Missouri on
Q: I'm tring to open a business and I'm tring to figure out what's taxable and what's not and if it is what's the tax
Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Sep 26, 2016

Tax law is certainly complex and depends entirely on your factual situation. It's commendable that you're inquiring about your tax obligations at such an early stage. Getting these systems down will greatly benefit you in the long run.

The IRS publishes small business guides that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Employment Law, Public Benefits and Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: I collected Unemployment in the state of Massachusetts in 2006-2007.

I was found to not be eligible for the unemployment benefits. I appealed the decision and I lost so I immediately repaid the amount I was given. During the appeals process the state charged me interested on what I owed. At the time I was appealing the decision was living in another state (MO) and... Read more »

Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray answered on Apr 28, 2016

You were caught in the Treasury Offset Program -- TOP. TOP has become one of the primary avenues for states to collect outstanding unemployment overpayments. Generally speaking, this program is legal, as long as the state agency using it follows the various requirements of federal law. Child... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: How do I get rid of a tax lien on my personal property in Missouri for State income Tax?

The State of Missouri put a tax lien on my personal property for unpaid income tax for the 2001 and 2002 tax years. The lien amount is approximately $50,000 and was filed in 2004. I recently learned that it is still in effect. I thought that such liens expired after 10 years if not renewed. To my... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Aug 29, 2015

These are not just basic legal questions, but questions that require careful though and consideration, as well as knowledge of the facts and the law, and specifically tailored legal advice. You get that when you hire an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Missouri on
Q: I received a notice tax lien filing and a copy of Certificate of Tax Lien - Individual Income. I can't pay all thats due

Will I be given time to pay taxes before Tax Lien Certificate is Auctioned or Sold. Will Tax Lien Certificate be held until Taxes or Paid. There was no mention of selling Certificate in the Notice, but I 've been reading about Certificate Selling on this site.

Mr. Ayuban Antonio Tomas CPA, Esq.
Mr. Ayuban Antonio Tomas CPA, Esq. answered on Dec 23, 2010

You will receive a notice when someone buys the certificate and you will receive another notice when an auction is scheduled. I have had clients who received a notice of a pending tax sale, but I was still able to get them to postpone it to give the person time to come up with a payment. I would... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.