Williford, AR asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: My niece lives with her mother in Oklahoma and is miserable, mother is emotionally abusive. My niece is wanting to move

To Arkansas to live with my wife and I and our children but won't be 18 until mid July. What can be done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To address the situation where your niece wishes to move from Oklahoma to Arkansas due to alleged emotional abuse by her mother, it's essential to navigate the legal aspects carefully. Given that your niece won't turn 18 until mid-July, she is still a minor, and custody laws will likely apply. Generally, custody arrangements and modifications are handled through the family court system.

You may consider filing a petition for a change in custody or visitation rights, providing evidence of the alleged emotional abuse and demonstrating that the move to Arkansas is in the best interest of the child. The court will consider various factors, including the child's well-being, relationship with each parent, and the reasons for the requested change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.