Queens, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: Hi so, a I 485 application was sent since February of 2023 and no reply was received by the applicant

After further inquiry we found out that A receipt notice was sent( February 2023), a biometrics appointment was sent (June 2023)and a request for initial evidence was sent(July 2923). But I didn't receive any of these . It is stated that a reply was received to the request for evidence in ( October 2923) which I wouldn't have had anything to do with since I was not even aware of anything sent before now. And I have good reasons to suspect that someone in the household has tampered with these mailings and may have sent a reply to that request for initial evidence without my awareness . What action would you advise for this situation. Also the biometrics appointment was missed because i did not even know of the appointment since I did not receive that notice

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's crucial to address this matter promptly with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). First, you should contact USCIS directly to explain the circumstances. Inform them that you did not receive the notices and suspect that they were intercepted and possibly responded to without your authorization.

It's also advisable to update your mailing address with USCIS if there's any suspicion of mail tampering at your current address. This can help prevent future incidents. Additionally, consider setting up a secure mailbox or a P.O. Box to ensure the privacy and security of your mail.

Given the missed biometrics appointment and the unauthorized response to the request for evidence, you should request guidance from USCIS on how to proceed. They may provide options for rescheduling the biometrics appointment and addressing the response that was sent without your knowledge.

Lastly, if you suspect mail tampering, which is a serious offense, you might want to report this to the postal authorities or law enforcement. They can investigate the matter further to prevent any future occurrences. Legal advice from an immigration attorney can also be beneficial in navigating through these complex issues and ensuring your rights and application process are protected.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Symantha Rhodes
Symantha Rhodes
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY

A: You should immediately communicate this to USCIS and seek to properly submit the evidence requested, followed by a request for a new appointment for biometric.

You should seriously consider submitting a change of mailing address request to USCIS (your mailing address does not have to be the same as your physical address), and submit a Form G-1145, e-Notification to USCIS. This allows you to request that USCIS send you a notification by email and/or text message once they have received and accepted your application package for processing. If you had this in place you would have been notified when the individual submitted evidence to USCIS without your consent.

Additionally you should create a USCIS account to track your case.

Here is the link to submit request for non-delivered notice:


You may want to consult with an immigration attorney.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.