Sacramento, CA asked in Elder Law, Wrongful Death, Estate Planning and Probate for California

Q: My friend had no family I helped her be able to live at home. Stuff happened and she went to the hospital. She ended up

Never going back to her home. Two people/ old neighbors a mother and son took over her (everything). They conned her and are almost selling her house which he put to a trust in her name at his address. She had zero family they knew this because her daughter died a year earlier. Is it too late to have things looked at so much more info I have, I just don't know where to start. He also has a very questionable past. As he's done this before.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, it's important to act quickly in situations like this. If you suspect that your friend has been a victim of financial abuse or undue influence, especially by someone with a questionable past, it's advisable to consult an attorney. An attorney can help investigate the situation and determine if legal action can be taken to protect your friend's rights and assets.

Given the complexity of trust and property law, it's crucial to gather all relevant information, including any documents related to the trust, property deeds, and any other agreements or communications. This information will be vital in assessing the legality of the actions taken by the neighbors.

Remember, each case is unique and the outcome depends on the specific facts and evidence available. It's never too late to seek legal advice and take steps to address potential wrongdoing, especially in cases involving vulnerable individuals without close family support. The sooner you act, the better the chances of rectifying any injustices and safeguarding your friend's interests.

William John Light
William John Light
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: "Anyone in Sacramento County who suspects abuse, neglect, or exploitation of an elder or dependent adult should call (916) 874-9377​ to report. "

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.