Galesburg, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: I arrested for possession of controlled substance which I have a rx for. I don't want to hire an attorney. What can I do

I have a letter from my doctor stating that I am prescribed the medication (Xanax). I've had 2 court dates where they asked about representation. I was going to try and hire an attorney. However, I can't afford it and why should I when I shouldn't have been charged in the first place. They searched my vehicle because my license was suspended (which has since been reinstated), found some Xanax I had in a Midol bottle. They never asked me about the pills, they just said I was under arrest. Which I assumed was for the suspension. When they went to release me, that's when I was told about the possession of a controlled substance. This was after we left the scene and were at the police station where they finger printed me. I told them there I had a prescription for the medication. They said I could tell the judge. The judge has refused to hear anything I've had to say. Just wants to know about a lawyer. How can I show them the letter or can I have it faxed to the sates attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Usually, the prosecutor will talk to you. Make an appt to talk to that person. See if you can get them to voluntarily dismiss it. It is not normally the judge who we try to reach deals with. But if they won't dismiss And you cannot afford a lawyer, ask for a pd.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.