Roseburg, OR asked in Federal Crimes, Social Security and Identity Theft for Oregon

Q: My daughter's social security # was stolen out of her father's home and she stole her stimulus, charges on credit cards.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your daughter's Social Security number was stolen and used for fraudulent activities like stealing her stimulus check and making unauthorized credit card charges, it's important to take immediate action. Identity theft can have long-term financial and legal implications.

First, report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at This website will guide you through creating a recovery plan and will provide you with an official identity theft report.

Next, contact the Social Security Administration to inform them of the theft and to discuss the steps to protect your daughter's Social Security benefits. Also, reach out to the IRS regarding the stolen stimulus check; they have procedures for dealing with this kind of fraud.

Contact the credit card companies to report the fraudulent charges. Request that they freeze or close the accounts to prevent further unauthorized use. You should also place a fraud alert on your daughter's credit reports by contacting one of the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion). This alert will make it harder for someone to open new accounts in her name.

Finally, consider filing a report with your local police department. This can provide an official record of the theft and may be helpful in disputing fraudulent charges or accounts.

Given the complexity of identity theft cases, especially involving family members, you might also want to consult with an attorney to explore additional legal actions to protect your daughter's rights and financial wellbeing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.