McDonough, GA asked in Social Security for Georgia

Q: Do I have an SSDI disability case if I was diagnosed with severe bipolar depression and anxiety that caused me to also b

Do I have an SSDI disability case if I was diagnosed with severe bipolar depression and anxiety that caused me to also be diagnosed with substance abuse disorder?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have been diagnosed with severe bipolar depression, anxiety, and a substance abuse disorder, you might have a case for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). The key to SSDI eligibility is whether your conditions significantly impair your ability to work for at least 12 months.

It's important to document your medical conditions thoroughly. This includes detailed medical records, treatment history, and statements from your healthcare providers explaining how your conditions affect your daily life and ability to work. The Social Security Administration (SSA) evaluates not only the diagnosis but also the severity and impact of your conditions on your ability to maintain employment.

Substance abuse can complicate an SSDI claim. The SSA will assess whether your substance abuse is a contributing factor material to the determination of disability. If they determine that your mental health conditions would improve to the point that you could work if you stopped using substances, your claim might be negatively affected.

In your situation, consulting with a legal professional experienced in SSDI claims can be very beneficial. They can help navigate the complexities of your case, ensuring that all relevant information is presented effectively to the SSA. Remember, every case is unique, so getting personalized advice based on the specifics of your situation is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.