Ashland, MA asked in Child Support, Divorce, Family Law and Criminal Law for New Hampshire

Q: My son’s been stressed due to separation/divorce. He has guilt & remorse for rough handling of 6-mo son at 4 AM changing

My grandson was screaming, fighting, a 20-lb strong baby. My son lost his temper and threw the baby on sofa cushions. My daughter-in-law took baby to hospital , citing child abuse, reported him to CPS, claims my son caused a fracture to one of baby’s ribs. Police are following up, My has no prior record, not even a speeding ticket, and he’s afraid he may face felony conviction! Is this possible? He has already enrolled in anger management 16 week course, has never been accused of domestic violence. His wife was upset & we’re not sure what she told CPS or whether the baby was injured. She spoke with police today and my son is terrified of being arrested, charged with Class B felony, losing his job as civil engineer, the sole source of family income. Please advise re classification of crime. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lebanon, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: The allegations are very serious. The potential exists for there to be felony charges depending on if there was in fact a serious bodily injury. It is vital that your son not talk to the police or DCYF without speaking to a defense lawyer. The facts may also reveal that it was not a criminal matter. Contact a good lawyer ASAP.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.