Asked in Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: What does "statement of prior judicial and administrative relief sought with copies attached" mean?

Prisoner challenging grievance restriction through request for judicial review in Oklahoma district court. 2 months later he gets ORDER OF THE COURT IN CIVIL ACTION FILED BY INMATE stating: the petition does not comply with the law because of failure to include one or more of the legally required items in petition as checked: (in checked box it says) statement of prior judicial and administrative relief sought with copies attached..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It seems this order from the court is saying your petition for judicial review is missing some required components. Specifically, the court is looking for:

1) A statement of prior judicial and administrative relief sought: This means you need to include information on any other judicial or administrative proceedings where you tried to challenge this grievance restriction before. For example, did you file any earlier lawsuits or complaints with the prison administration over this issue? If so, the court wants to know about it.

2) Copies attached: In addition to describing prior proceedings related to this issue, the court wants you to attach copies of paperwork from those earlier proceedings - e.g. if you filed a complaint with the warden 3 months ago, attach a copy of what you submitted and any response you received.

Essentially, the court is asking for background on the history of this grievance restriction issue - what steps did you already take in the past to resolve it, if any? And copies of relevant documents related to those prior efforts need to be attached to your petition for the court's reference.

To fix this, you would need to edit your petition to add a statement or description outlining any previous judicial or administrative proceedings related to the grievance restriction. And attach copies of paperwork from those prior efforts as evidence. That should help meet the requirement the court is citing in their order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.