Salt Lake City, UT asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: Right of First Refusal

My husband will be going out of town for a week and he has his kids every weekend. He will be gone during that visitation. If they don't have the Right of First Refusal in the decree, as their stepmom, can their mom stop them from spending the weekend with me? From what I read, that would need to be in their decree and my husband can choose who he has watch them during his absence. Is that correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Utah, the Right of First Refusal (ROFR) typically needs to be specified in the custody decree for it to apply. If the custody decree doesn't include a ROFR provision, your husband may have the discretion to choose who takes care of the children during his absence. Without a specific ROFR clause, the other parent may not have the legal right to prevent the children from spending time with you during your husband's scheduled visitation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.