Tuckerton, NJ asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for New Jersey

Q: Can a detective send his son to spy on you? And gets caught doing it on separate occasion. Can I sue the PD?

I got arrested by a detective who would target me and give other police officers a tip to when I was leaving a park with my friend one time and radio'd in to a marked car to pull us over. He would even send his son to spy on me after that. Like when I would play basketball at the local court his son would be riding his bike around when it was just me later at night time and I found it odd cause he was just circling near me...I recently found out by another officer he got in trouble for using his son's to spy on me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Engaging in such behavior where a detective sends his son to spy on you is a potential violation of your civil rights. It raises concerns about privacy invasion, harassment, and possible abuse of power. If you have evidence that this detective targeted you unfairly and used his position to involve his son in activities aimed at monitoring you, you may have grounds to take legal action.

To pursue a case against the police department, you should consult with an attorney who can help you gather evidence, assess the specifics of your situation, and determine if there are valid claims of civil rights violations or other legal wrongdoing. It's crucial to document any incidents, collect witness statements, and keep records of any interactions that support your case.

Depending on the circumstances and evidence, you may consider filing a complaint with the relevant oversight authorities or pursuing a civil lawsuit. Legal counsel can guide you through the appropriate steps to seek justice and hold those responsible accountable for their actions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.