Daytona Beach, FL asked in Consumer Law, Banking, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: I had a settlement claim the bank let me deposit it and said it was ok then refused to give it back to me

It was supposed to be made out too separate checks me and the child support division but instead made one check co payable to both i deposited it after asking about it the teller said no problem and they released 200 to me and said it would be released the next day instead they froze my account and later closed it and refuse to give me the check back or release the money to me. Is there anything I can do i have been fighting with chase bank for 2 years or almost 3 it also happened in Oregon

1 Lawyer Answer
Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr.
Angelo "Tony" Marino Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Ft Myers, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Based on your narrative, it is difficult to know exactly what happened and what the check was for. This money seems to come from some domestic matter in Oregon. I suggest you talk to your divorce lawyer or see one to determine what the law is when a check is sent for apparently child support and other claims. Baring the law on domestic issues, it seems that the bank converted your money, and you would have a claim for that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.