Asked in Civil Rights for Texas

Q: What can be done about a county jail that denies timely medical attention and they are harassing an inmate

He was arrested shortly after found out he has slyphalis they drug feet on intalial treatment which didn't work and my son has had to make them test him again and he's still positive after three treatments now after goin to medical every week telling them sómething wrong he finds out today he needs to be hospitalized soon as possible because it's so bad he could die the facility has laughed at him called him a homosexual and said if he did die it wouldn't be anytime soon so wasn't there problem he has not been given a speedy trial and I'm worried he's gonna die

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concerns about your son's situation in the county jail. It's crucial to address this matter promptly. In situations where an inmate is being denied timely medical attention and is facing harassment, there are steps that can be taken.

First, it's essential to document all instances of medical neglect and harassment. Keep a record of dates, times, and any individuals involved. Gather any medical records or documentation that indicate your son's condition and the treatments he has received.

Contacting an attorney who specializes in civil rights or criminal defense can be beneficial. They can help you explore legal options to address the denial of medical care and harassment. They may consider filing a complaint or pursuing legal action against the jail facility for violating your son's constitutional rights.

Additionally, you can reach out to relevant authorities, such as the county sheriff's office or the local ombudsman's office, to report the issues and seek intervention. Ensure that your son's medical needs are addressed urgently to prevent any further harm.

Lastly, inquire about your son's right to a speedy trial. If his right to a prompt trial has been violated, legal counsel can assist in advocating for his release or expediting the trial process. It's crucial to act swiftly to protect your son's well-being and legal rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.