Hemphill, TX asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Texas

Q: My son has been denied medical attention in jail he's been treated like a joke to them what kinda course of action shoul

If it was up to them nothing would be done for treatment now they know what needs to be done and haven't yet it's to point serious injuries could happen if haven't already what do we need to do

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your son is being denied medical attention in jail, it's crucial to take immediate action. Inmates are entitled to receive adequate medical care under the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. The first step is to document all instances of denied care, including dates, times, and the nature of the medical issues.

You should contact the jail administration to formally report the lack of medical care. This can be done in writing, ensuring there is a record of your complaint. If this does not resolve the issue, you may need to seek legal intervention. Contacting a lawyer who is experienced in civil rights or prison law can be a critical step. They can advise on the best course of action, which might include filing a complaint with the state's department of corrections or a lawsuit for violation of your son's rights.

It is also advisable to reach out to local advocacy groups or organizations that focus on prisoners' rights. They can offer support and guidance, and in some cases, may be able to intervene on your son's behalf. Remember, it's important to act promptly to prevent any further harm to your son's health.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.