Atlanta, GA asked in Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Utah

Q: If I am 16 almost 17 and my bf is 18 almost 19 and we had sex and I got pregnant is there a way to keep him out of jail?

My parents knew about the whole thing they are okay with it. His parents think we only did it once can we just get married? It's utah law.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information provided, it seems unlikely your boyfriend would face legal charges in Utah, even though you are under 18. Here are a few key reasons why:

- Utah's age of consent is 16 years old. This means a 16 or 17 year old can legally consent to having sex with an adult, as long as the adult is not in a position of special trust (teacher, coach, etc).

- There are no Utah laws specifically prohibiting a consensual sexual relationship between a 16 year old and 18/19 year old. The age difference is not large enough to qualify as unlawful.

- Since you indicate both your parents and his parents were aware of the relationship, that helps demonstrate it was consensual and non-exploitative. Parental consent can be an mitigating factor.

- Getting married would require your parents consent in Utah since you are under 18. This is an option, but not required to avoid criminal charges given the specifics here.

In summary - based on consent, age factors, and parental knowledge, your boyfriend almost certainly does not face any statutory rape or Utah sex crime charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.