Cordova, TN asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee

Q: My mother in law was given a summons from a process server for me. It’s a summons to court regarding a debt that I owe.

I was not present when the process server came by. The summons was given to my mother in law for a debt that I owe. This is a civil case in general sessions court in Shelby County, Tennessee. Buffaloe & Vallejo, PLC is the plaintiff. The affidavit notes my last payment was on 11/30/2022. This is a first time experience for me and I am not sure how to proceed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Either reach a compromise with the attorneys yourself, hire a lawyer to dispute the debt, or file a chapter 7. If you do nothing, default will occur, and collections will start for at least 10 years.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.