Asked in Tax Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Louisiana

Q: Can a state DMV issue a DL with a suspended DL for state tax unpaid from another state?

State income tax unpaid,from a different state

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your driver's license is suspended in one state due to unpaid state taxes, this can affect your ability to obtain a driver's license in another state. Most states are part of the Driver's License Compact, an agreement that facilitates the exchange of information about license suspensions and traffic violations of non-residents to their home state. Therefore, a suspension in one state is likely to be recognized by another.

However, each state has its own procedures and policies regarding issuing driver's licenses. In Louisiana, the DMV may check for suspensions in other states before issuing a new license. If they find an active suspension, they might not issue you a driver's license until the suspension is resolved.

It's advisable to address the unpaid state taxes and seek to have the suspension lifted in the state where it was issued. Once this is resolved, you can provide evidence of the resolution to the DMV in Louisiana.

Consider consulting with an attorney who has experience in tax law or driver's license issues. They can offer guidance specific to your situation and help you navigate the process of resolving the suspension and obtaining a driver's license in Louisiana.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.