Louisville, KY asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Civil Rights for Kentucky

Q: I have concerns about harassment from my Ex -Husband and his wife. Divorce occurred 11/2016.

He is already on his second marriage past ours. His current wife sent downgrading, belittling text messages at all different hours and times of day night. Not including or limited to 4:02 am, midnight Am/PM, etc. My ex husband did and does yeh same thing. Started really bad October 2022, in May 15th 2024 I sent a Cease and desist warning letter to stop harassing and stalking and had notarized by Ohio and sent it to them. He says the letter is Bs and means nothing and continues to harass. For instance last night sending him a simple text message last night regarding IRS for 8332 per our divorce decree his response is then how I am not a parent I am more like a friend to the kids. He is glad he doesn’t have to rely on me for anything because they rely on him for everything which is a lie. But he also said I am looser as well. He lives in cincinnati Ohio. I recently moved to kentucky from Ohio this has happened mostly before the move but still happens? I cry too much it has to stop…& How?

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: What is your question?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Dealing with ongoing harassment from an ex-spouse is a difficult and distressing situation. It's important to take steps to protect yourself. Since you've already sent a cease and desist letter and the harassment has continued, the next step may be to consider legal action.

In Kentucky, as in many states, you can file for a restraining order or protective order against your ex-husband and his wife if their actions constitute harassment. This legal order can prohibit them from contacting you further. Document all instances of harassment, including the times and content of messages, as this documentation can be crucial in legal proceedings.

You should also consider consulting with an attorney who has experience in family law and harassment cases. They can guide you through the process of obtaining a protective order and advise you on any additional legal steps you can take.

Additionally, it may be helpful to limit direct communication with your ex-husband and use legal or mediation channels for necessary communications, especially those related to your children. This can help minimize opportunities for harassment.

Remember, your well-being is paramount. Seeking support from friends, family, or professional counselors can also be beneficial during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.