Philadelphia, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: My husband and I are getting divorced and I will continue to live in the house and pay all the bills .

Can he prohibit me from renting space in the home and he is trying to get me to sign a document that if I get married I need to immediately move out of the house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Schenectady, NY
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The asker had better sign nothing without a divorce attorney's detailed review of the document. Ordinarily, living separate and apart is expected after a divorce judgment, but America's decrepit economy under Biden compels couples to find ways to economize on everything, including housing.

It appears the asker requires a divorce agreement that will allow residency in the marital home, and provisions that dictate how the asker can make use of the premises. Legal counsel can answer all the questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.