Philadelphia, PA asked in Contracts, Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: Really need advice, not sure how to go about this

Hi my name is Alicia. I'm not sure who I contact or even how to go about this issue. Me and my ex have a 3 yr old daughter, she hasn't let me see her in months. We have a signed and notorized contract. The baby also has my lastname. Is there any chance I have some type of rights? Or how I go about this issue? Thankyou

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Alicia, in your situation, having a notarized contract regarding custody or visitation rights is significant. This document may outline your rights regarding your daughter. However, the enforceability of such a contract can vary depending on its contents and how it aligns with Pennsylvania family law.

Since your ex is not allowing you to see your daughter, you should consider taking legal action. You have rights as a parent, especially if the child bears your last name and there is an existing agreement. It's essential to consult with an attorney who is experienced in family law and child custody matters. They can review your contract, advise you on your rights, and help you take the appropriate legal steps to enforce those rights.

In the meantime, keep a record of all attempts you make to see your daughter and any communication with your ex. This documentation can be valuable in any legal proceedings.

Remember, every parent has the right to seek legal recourse to enforce their parental rights. It's important to take action to ensure your relationship with your daughter is protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.