Duluth, MN asked in Juvenile Law for Minnesota

Q: Can a child be charged rent for finding drugs in their room if they are under 18

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Charging a child rent as a form of punishment for finding drugs in their room is not a straightforward legal matter, especially if the child is under 18. Legally, parents or guardians are responsible for providing for their minor children, which includes housing, food, and care. Imposing rent on a minor child could be seen as failing to fulfill these parental responsibilities.

Moreover, the concept of charging rent to a minor child could raise various legal and ethical questions. Parents are generally expected to address behavioral issues like drug possession through discipline, guidance, and, if necessary, seeking professional help, rather than through financial penalties like rent.

If you are dealing with a situation involving a minor and drugs, it might be more effective and appropriate to seek other forms of intervention. This could include counseling, therapy, or other forms of support to address the underlying issues leading to drug use.

In any case involving minors and legal concerns, it's important to consider the child's best interests and legal obligations as a parent or guardian. Consulting with a legal professional can provide specific advice tailored to your situation and ensure that any actions taken are within legal and ethical boundaries.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.