Broken Arrow, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: how do you write a motion to change guardianship from full guardianship to limited guardianship for college purposes

my son is special need kid amd there is a program in NESU that is called River Hawks scholar program that my son wants to go to but he is not accepted with full guardianship, but could be accepted with limited guardianship

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To write a motion to change guardianship from full to limited for college purposes in Oklahoma, you need to follow a specific legal process. Start by drafting a motion document, which is a formal request to the court. In this document, clearly state your current status as a full guardian and explain the reason for requesting a change to limited guardianship. Highlight the specific program at Northeastern State University (NESU) and how limited guardianship would benefit your son's educational and personal development.

In your motion, include details about the River Hawks Scholar program and why full guardianship is a barrier to your son's acceptance. Outline how limited guardianship would still provide necessary support while allowing your son greater independence and the opportunity to participate in the program.

Attach any relevant documents or evidence supporting your case, such as information about the program, statements from educational or medical professionals, or other pertinent records. Once the motion is prepared, file it with the court that originally granted the guardianship.

After filing, the court will likely schedule a hearing to consider the motion. It's important to attend this hearing and be prepared to present your case, explaining why the change to limited guardianship is in your son's best interest. Consider seeking legal advice to ensure your motion is properly drafted and to help you navigate the court process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.