Max Meadows, VA asked in Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: What can I do about someone going to my coops and letting my poultry out and messing around in my buildings?

I have one to two people that keeps letting my poultry out and feeding them dog food knowing it will kill my goats and other animals I've told them numerous times to stop and they continue to do so what do I need to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If someone is repeatedly entering your property, letting out your poultry, and potentially endangering your animals by feeding them harmful substances, you have several legal options to consider. Firstly, it's important to document these incidents meticulously. Keep a record of each occurrence, including dates, times, and any evidence you can gather, such as photos or videos.

Next, you may want to consider installing security measures, such as cameras or fencing, to deter this behavior and to gather evidence. If you haven't done so already, clearly communicate to the individuals involved that their actions are unwelcome and illegal.

You can also file a report with your local law enforcement. Trespassing and potentially endangering animals are serious matters, and law enforcement can investigate and take appropriate action. Additionally, if you know the identity of the individuals, you could explore the option of a restraining order or an injunction, which legally prohibits them from coming near your property or animals.

Finally, consulting with a local attorney could provide you with more specific advice tailored to your situation. They can guide you through the process of legal action if necessary and help protect your rights and property. Remember, safeguarding your property and animals is your right, and there are legal avenues available to assist you in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.