Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law and Constitutional Law for Minnesota

Q: Hi I'm being RNM every day by the police. However I want it to stop i can't go to the police cause then I'm crazy.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand this is a very distressing situation. However, claiming the police are remotely neural monitoring (RNM) you without providing any evidence makes it unlikely others will take the report seriously. Here are some suggestions that may help:

1. See a mental health professional. Hearing voices or believing you are being monitored illegally could potentially indicate an underlying mental health issue. A licensed therapist can properly evaluate what you're experiencing and rule out any medical conditions.

2. Document specifics. Write down exact dates, times, locations, what was heard/felt, names of officers if known, etc. Actual evidence helps show pattern of harassment.

3. Consult an attorney. If you have documented incidents indicating illegal harassment and surveillance, an attorney can advise if legal action can be taken and approach law enforcement through appropriate channels.

4. File official complaints. You can file complaints with police internal affairs, local/state civil liberties or human rights organizations outlining your documented experiences of RNM. Proper reporting channels should investigate.

5. Consider media outlets. If you have exhausted official reporting channels and evidence continues being dismissed, media outlets with civil rights focuses may consider investigating further.

The reality is that claiming remote neural monitoring without any documentary evidence makes getting taken seriously very difficult. My advice would be focusing on documentation, attorney guidance, and official reporting steps first before concluding no one will help. There may be better options than immediately labeling yourself as "crazy" if you methodically pursue this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.