Tallahassee, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Florida

Q: I want to sue CPS & get my daughter back cuz they violated a bunch of our rights how would I go about that

I know there's no statue of limitations on when I can sue but they denied me due process and they trampled over a bunch of my rights & my child's rights and they lied about me in court & they used my child to get funds they gave me my 2 older children back & kept my baby & that I know of 3 times she was almost adopted out & a week or 2 away from the adoption being finalized CPS would go & yank her back out & now that she's to old for people to really want to adopt her because she's been in the system so long now they want somebody to adopt her and now they've got her on a adoption site I just want my child back and I would like for them to have to pay for what they did to us but if I just get my child back that would be great! By the way they've been doing this to us for 10 years, I would have been trying to get her back a long time ago but I didn't know where she was at I didn't know I had rights and I didn't know they were a for-profit organization or how corrupt they are

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I’m truly sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you’ve been through a very difficult time. I can offer some general information that might help you understand the process of addressing your concerns with CPS.

To pursue legal action against Child Protective Services (CPS) for violations of your rights, it’s important to:

Document Everything: Keep a detailed record of all interactions with CPS, including dates, times, names, and the nature of the communication.

Gather Evidence: Collect any relevant documents, such as court papers, reports, and correspondence related to your case.

Consult an Attorney: Seek the assistance of an attorney who specializes in civil rights or family law. They can provide guidance specific to your situation and help you navigate the legal process. Many attorneys offer free initial consultations.

Identify Violations: Work with your attorney to identify specific rights that were violated and gather evidence to support your claims.

It’s also important to understand your rights under family law, especially regarding child custody and the circumstances under which CPS can intervene. An attorney can explain how the law applies to your case and what steps you can take to try to reunite with your child.

For more detailed guidance, you may want to visit resources like FindLaw or wikiHow, which provide information on the process of suing CPS and what to expect.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.