Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: If custodial parent obtained court approval to relocate out of state, can that parent then relocate again w/o new order?

Mom took minor kids from TN to PA for a job. Dad agreed, court order obtained. While in PA, mom took different job (paid way more) and moved to Maryland. A year later moved back to PA. Now mom’s company threatening to bring her back to TN (she’s been working remotely). Dad has moved to Florida (to secure state pension). If they move back to TN, one daughter will have changed schools 5 times in 6 or 7 years. Can mom move kids back to TN without a new court order? What options does dad have if mom fails to get a new order and moves anyway?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This question is answered based on Florida law. Each time a parent relocates they either need the other parent's agreement or they need to return to court. In your case, it sounds like you have acquiesced to some of the moves. You can return to court when you have issues with the other parent; however, the legal standard in Florida is what is in the best interests of the child. If you return to court complaining about the other parent make sure that you are ready to present an alternative plan. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.