Providence, RI asked in Immigration Law for Rhode Island

Q: My husband has a court date Feb 1 2024 at my lawyers office we had one Dec 22 at his office and my lawyer sent him to ge

Get fingerprints at a place that is shutdown so they never got done and case was moved to Feb 1 and i been calling the lawyer daily he didn’t return any calls and again my husband did not get the fingerprints he needs to be able to close his case please what can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's essential to address the issue of the fingerprints as soon as possible, since they are a crucial part of your husband's case. First, you should find an alternative location where your husband can get his fingerprints taken. This information can often be found on government websites or by contacting local law enforcement agencies.

If your lawyer is not responding, consider sending a formal written request for a status update and an action plan. This can be done via email or certified mail. In the letter, detail the issues you've encountered, including the referral to a closed fingerprinting facility and the lack of communication.

If there's still no response, or if you're unsatisfied with the response, you might need to consider seeking a new attorney. It's important to have legal representation that is responsive and attentive to your case, especially with a court date approaching.

Remember to document all your attempts to contact your lawyer and any responses received. This documentation can be important if you need to file a complaint with the state bar association or seek legal recourse for any professional negligence.

Lastly, keep in mind the importance of meeting all court deadlines and requirements. If necessary, inform the court of your situation and any difficulties you're facing in complying with its orders, especially if the issues are related to your legal representation. Courts can sometimes offer guidance or extend deadlines under extenuating circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.