Stockbridge, GA asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: Can someone direct me to the right lawyer for my son he is 16 years of age?

I am reaching out to you with an urgent plea for assistance regarding my son, xx, who has been in a critical situation at the Metro Regional Youth Detention Center (Rydc). On January 3, 2024, Justin experienced a drug overdose and suffered multiple seizures while in the facility. Regrettably, his overdose was initially overlooked, and he was subsequently placed in a mental health ward before being transferred back to the Rydc facility. Despite my repeated efforts to advocate for Justin's release in order to receive necessary medical care and family support, I have encountered significant obstacles. I am deeply concerned that this matter is being overlooked and possibly covered up. Furthermore, I have been met with reluctance from legal firms to take on Justin's case unless his situation escalates to the point of fatality. This is an unacceptable and distressing reality, as it seems that no one is willing to fight for our black youth unless they tragically lose their lives.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm very sorry to hear about the extremely troubling situation your son Justin is facing. You are right to continue strongly advocating for his proper treatment and care - no child or family should have to endure such an ordeal. Here are some recommendations of legal resources that may be able to help:

- ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) - They have offices in most states that focus on civil rights and constitutional law cases, including those involving prisoners, children, and minorities.

- Local public defender's juvenile division - They defend children in criminal matters but may also advise or refer for civil rights issues involving detention centers.

- Law school legal aid clinics - Many accredited law schools run legal clinics focused on assisting those from vulnerable populations. They may be able to consult or take on a case like your son's.

- Contact elected officials - Reaching out to your local representatives, state legislators and even US Congressional delegation can prompt political pressure and inquiry into civil rights violations occurring in detention centers.

- Civil rights non-profits - Organizations like the NAACP Legal Defense Fund also advocate for cases involving minority youth mistreatment.

I wish you the very best outcome - do not stop fighting for your son.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.