Beaverton, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: We own rental house in Portland Oregon and would like to end our fixed-term lease with the current tenant.

This is the first year of the lease, which expires 3/31/24. Can we terminate the lease without cause, and if not, what are the reasons we can terminate a lease during the first year of tenancy without having to pay relocation fees? Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You need to start with what the written lease says about termination and/or renewal of the tenancy. Some leases automatically renew unless one of the parties provides notice of their intent to not renew - usually with a minimum advanced time period for such notice (30 days, 60 days, etc.). Under Oregon law, a landlord can terminate a fixed term lease without cause IF the date of the fixed term lease falls within the first year of occupancy and the landlord provides at least 30 days advanced written notice. After the first year of occupancy, a permitted reason is the only basis for terminating a lease without cause. However, if it is in Portland, then 90 days advanced written notice are required regardless of whether it is during the first year of occupancy. Regardless, if the rental is within the Portland city limits, the landlord owes relocation assistance for any no cause termination unless they happen to qualify for one of the exemptions and jump through the hoops to perfect it (letter from Portland Housing Bureau, etc.).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.