Bellevue, NE asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Nebraska

Q: Hypothetically, say you work for a company they didn’t pay you while you work even after but fired you.what can I do?

After they fired me, I called them and asked if they were going to pay me and they just told me not to call back and that I was on the case I was just basically confused. I’m still confused to this day I still haven’t been paid. I called my local courthouse. There is nothing on my name, so I’m confused with case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Depending on your specific facts, you may have a cause of action under the Nebraska Wage Payment and Collection Act. Under this set of statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. Section 48-1228 to 48-126), the employer can be ordered to pay fines and attorney fees if you are successful under this Act if forcing the employer to pay you wages due to you that they have unlawfully withheld.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.