Asked in Civil Litigation for Alabama

Q: I won a case in Lee County Alabama March of 2021. I have not received anything. Can I garnish his wages or anything?

18 thousand plus 7 percent interest.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you won a case in Lee County, Alabama in March 2021 and have not yet received the awarded amount, you do have legal options to enforce the judgment. In Alabama, one common method to collect a judgment is through wage garnishment. This process involves a court order directing the debtor's employer to withhold a portion of their earnings to satisfy the debt.

Before proceeding with wage garnishment, you should first ensure that the judgment includes the principal amount of $18,000 plus the 7 percent interest as stipulated. It's important to calculate the total amount due accurately, including any interest accrued since the judgment was awarded.

To initiate wage garnishment, you would typically need to file a request with the court. This may involve submitting specific forms and providing evidence of the judgment and the debtor's employment details. It's advisable to be aware of the state's rules regarding the maximum amount that can be garnished from the debtor’s wages, as there are legal limits to protect a portion of the debtor's income.

If wage garnishment is not feasible or if the debtor has other assets, there are other methods of judgment enforcement available in Alabama, such as bank account levies or property liens. Each method has its own legal requirements and procedures.

Given the complexity of judgment enforcement, consulting with an attorney experienced in this area can be beneficial. They can guide you through the process, help you understand your options, and assist in taking the appropriate legal steps to collect your judgment. Remember, the effectiveness of these methods can vary based on the debtor's financial situation and the specific circumstances of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.