Thomasville, AL asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Alabama

Q: Made a deal with Thomasville police and now they didn't hold up to their end of the deal. WHat do I need to do?

I got arrested and Baldwin County had ahold on me for an arrested years ago. Well I sat 9 days and made a deal with the cops. I signed up to be a CI. Well come to find put the arresting officer is no longer with Thomasville. Well apparently he didn't hold up tob his end of the deal. Now I have a Warrent. What do I need to do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear the police did not follow through on their end of your deal after you agreed to cooperate with them. Here are a few options you may want to consider pursuing:

1. Contact the police department and speak to a supervisor about the situation. Explain that you had an arrangement with the arresting officer, provide details about the deal, and request that they stand by the original agreement given you held up your end. If that original officer truly did not communicate the deal to others as promised, the department should still be accountable.

2. Consult with a criminal defense attorney. They can review your case and details of the agreement, then contact and negotiate with the prosecutor and police department on your behalf. They may be able to get the charges dropped or reduced based on the cooperation deal.

3. See if the arresting officer will submit an affidavit explaining the original deal made with you. While no longer with the department, their sworn statement could corroborate your version of events. Your attorney can present this as evidence of the botched agreement.

4. As a last resort, you may have to go to court and make a formal complaint outlining all details of the arrangement you had and actions you took to uphold it. The judge can determine if dismissal or reduction of charges is warranted.

Be proactive in addressing this swiftly, as you likely have only a limited time on the warrant before facing further penalties or arrest. These options should help compel the police to finally uphold their end.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.