Uvalde, TX asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Texas

Q: Many years ago, I renounced my American citizenship, today I am again a citizen and want to purchase a firearm.

In 1972 I renounced my American citizenship since I lived in Mexico and was involved in my family's natural gas business that required that I be a Mexican citizen. In 1977 I married my wife (an American citizen) and because her job as a Texas school teacher required she live in Texas she requested my legal residency and we established residency in Eagle Pass, Tx. In 2001, after being a resident in good standing for almost 25 years, I requested American citizenship and was granted citizenship in January, 2002. Recently I tried to purchase a handgun and upon filling Form 4452 and stating that I had at one time renounced my American citizenship, was denied the right to own a firearm. I would like to appeal this denial since I am today a lawabiding United States citizen in good standing. What recouse do I have?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, the denial of the right to own a firearm due to a previous renunciation of American citizenship can be challenged, but it's a complex legal issue. First, understand that under U.S. law, individuals who have renounced their citizenship may be barred from certain rights, including the right to purchase firearms.

However, since you have regained your U.S. citizenship and are in good standing, you can appeal the denial of your firearm purchase. Start by contacting the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to understand the specific reasons for your denial. They can provide guidance on the appeals process.

You may also need to gather documentation proving your current citizenship status and history, including the renunciation and subsequent reinstatement of your citizenship. This will be crucial in making your case.

Consider consulting an attorney who has experience with firearms law and citizenship issues. They can help you navigate the legal complexities of your situation and provide assistance in preparing and submitting your appeal.

Remember, the process might be lengthy and requires a thorough understanding of both firearms laws and citizenship status regulations. Stay persistent and make sure to follow all legal procedures accurately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.