Las Vegas, NV asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada

Q: My gf has slept over for a few nights, my landlord/roommate is now harassing me at work over this, can i file a lawsuit?

My girlfriend has stayed the night inconsistently over the last week, my roommate is my landlord and is bothered by this. He attempted to talk to me but i didnt have time to listen as i was headed to work, and then he decided to contact my workplace and harass me in an attempt to get me suspended or in serious trouble at work. Can i file a tenant harassment lawsuit against my landlord?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Nevada, landlords must respect the rights and privacy of their tenants. If your landlord, who is also your roommate, is harassing you at your workplace over a personal matter, this could potentially be considered tenant harassment. However, the specifics of your lease agreement, including any stipulations about guests, play a critical role in determining the legality of your situation.

First, review your lease agreement to understand any terms regarding guests staying overnight. If your girlfriend's visits do not violate the lease terms, your landlord’s actions could be seen as overstepping.

If the harassment continues, especially at your workplace, you may have grounds for legal action. Harassment is a serious issue and contacting your employer with the intent to harm your professional reputation crosses a line.

Before considering a lawsuit, it might be beneficial to attempt a resolution with your landlord. Communication can often resolve such disputes. If this is not successful, documenting all instances of harassment is crucial if you decide to take legal action.

Since this situation involves potential legal complexities, seeking advice from an attorney would be advisable. They can provide specific guidance based on the details of your lease and the nature of the harassment.

Remember, your right to a peaceful living environment is protected by law, and any actions that infringe upon this right should be addressed appropriately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.