Rochester, NY asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights, Communications Law and Family Law for New York

Q: Blind mom in custody case in Wayne county family court, NY. Requested to have documents brailled.

Like court orders, letters, etc. 2 years into case and still no accommodations. Court said they aren’t responsible

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's important to know that federal law, specifically the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), requires courts to provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities, including those who are blind. This often includes making documents available in Braille or other accessible formats.

Since you have not received these accommodations in Wayne County Family Court, consider filing a complaint with the court's ADA Coordinator. Every court should have an ADA Coordinator responsible for handling such requests and ensuring compliance with the law.

If the issue isn't resolved at the court level, you have the option to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice, which enforces the ADA. This can be done online or through mail.

Additionally, reaching out to a local advocacy group or legal aid organization specializing in disability rights can provide support and guidance. They can assist you in understanding your rights and may offer resources to help advocate for the accommodations you need.

Remember, the law is on your side in this matter. The court is obligated to provide reasonable accommodations to ensure you have equal access to the legal process. Don't hesitate to assert your rights and seek the necessary support to navigate this challenge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.