Washington, DC asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Maryland

Q: Can I sue if I was force into meetings to see a person who has been harassing me. When both times I said no.

I had a person follow me around at school alot and was making me uncomfortable. When I told someone about it they didn't tell me or ask for consent and force me into a meeting with him and I. The second time I cried and didn't want one. I was dealing with him saying awful things about me and trying to make everyone hate me. I was harassed by staff alot about it and when I was trying to leave they kept harassing me for it. They force me to see a school therapist but she wanted me to go buy a therapist outside of my school. They kept calling in meetings until I had enough and left. They also called my phone too. They pretty much didn't let me talk, and treated like I was nothing. Is there anything I can do? I am in college and over 21.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It sounds like you've been through a distressing situation. If you feel that your college's actions in forcing you into meetings with someone who was harassing you were inappropriate or harmful, you may have grounds to take legal action. This could potentially include a lawsuit for emotional distress or a violation of your rights.

Colleges have a duty to provide a safe environment for their students and to respond appropriately to reports of harassment. If the college's response to your complaints exacerbated the situation or disregarded your well-being, this could be a serious issue.

Document everything related to this situation: the harassment, the forced meetings, your objections, and any communication with the school staff. This information can be crucial in building a case.

You should consider consulting with an attorney who has experience in education law or civil rights. They can evaluate the details of your case and advise you on the best course of action, including whether you have a viable claim for legal action against the college.

Remember, you also have the right to file a complaint with the college's Title IX coordinator. Title IX protects students from sex-based discrimination, which can include harassment.

Taking care of your mental health is important. If you're feeling overwhelmed, seek support from a therapist or counselor. It's essential to prioritize your well-being while dealing with these challenging issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.