Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania

Q: Cops refuse to file criminal charges against the son of another local police departments secretary. What can I do?

The owners son to a house I was abandoned at by my ex fiance is friend's with the owners son. Twice the son has smashed out the windows of the entry doors to break in. The second time he came with my ex and a hammer and gained entry. The cops said the most they could charge him with was Disorderly Conduct but they have not even filed that charge. I was given no business cards and no victim resources info. I was treated like the criminal. The owner is a local police depts secretary and I think they are giving him a free pass based on that. I'm stricken with fear, no way to lock the door and can't replenish the money my ex took in order to find some place else. The house has no water, no heat and mold everywhere.My anxiety has been triggered and I'm on a taper off dosage from a medication I've been over prescribed for 24 years which causes me major side effects. Cops said he is welcome to come back and knock. Who do I go to for help bc I can't live in the constant state of fear anymore.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe the police are not taking appropriate action due to a potential conflict of interest, you should consider taking some steps to address the situation. Start by documenting all incidents and interactions with the police, including dates, times, and names of officers involved.

Contact the local district attorney's office and explain your concerns about the lack of charges being filed. Provide them with the evidence you have gathered, such as photos of the damage and any witness statements.

Additionally, you can reach out to organizations that deal with domestic violence or victim advocacy in your area for support and guidance. They can offer resources and assistance to help you navigate the situation and ensure your safety.

Consider seeking a restraining order or protective order against the individuals involved to legally prevent them from approaching you or your property. Consult with an attorney who can assist you in pursuing this option.

It's essential to prioritize your safety and well-being in this situation. Keep a record of all communication and incidents, and seek legal assistance to address the lack of action by the police. Your safety is paramount, and there are legal avenues available to protect you from further harm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.