Tucson, AZ asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arizona

Q: I need to decide when and how I should start obtaining full sole custody of my four-year-old daughter.

I experienced domestic violence with the biological father of my child. He told the child support judge he wanted nothing to do with my child and is currently in prison for a manslaughter charge due to a motor vehicle accident with a bicyclist that resulted in the death of said bicyclist. His grandmother has made comments about him "still having rights" and I need to make sure that he cannot be in my child's life when he is released from prison. Please help if you can, I need advice. He has mental health issues as well as a TBI that makes him aggressive and unpredictable.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I recommend you go speak with an attorney who practices in the juvenile courts in Pima County ASAP about filing to terminate his parental rights. If you're going to do it, now is the time. If you don't terminate his rights, he can seek to establish his rights when he gets out of prison.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.