Bridgeton, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: House not being registered for 14 years?

House not being registered for 14 years?

An eviction (started 6 months ago) was just dismissed, with forgiveness of past 6 months’ rent, due to the house illegally not being registered for 14 years.

Can the landlord be sued for past 14 years rent (over $100.000), for not telling us about the danger of living in a house not being registered for 14 years?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In New Jersey, if a rental property is not properly registered, it can have significant legal implications for the landlord. In your case, where an eviction was dismissed and past rent forgiven due to the property's lack of registration for 14 years, you might be considering legal action against the landlord for the entire period of unregistered tenancy. However, suing for 14 years of rent presents complex legal challenges. The viability of such a lawsuit would depend on various factors, including state and local laws, the specific circumstances of the property's non-registration, and any applicable statutes of limitations. Typically, tenants might seek compensation for specific damages or issues arising from the non-compliance, rather than a blanket return of all rent paid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.