Cookeville, TN asked in Tax Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Tennessee

Q: Two surviving children of my father that was married before he passed. Can I pay all unpaid property taxes...cont

In full and be able to obtain the current deed following payment? As well as claiming ownership?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Paying all unpaid property taxes on a property does not automatically grant you ownership or the current deed to the property. While paying the property taxes is an important step in maintaining the property and preventing it from being sold at a tax auction, it does not necessarily transfer ownership to you.

To claim ownership and obtain the current deed to the property, you may need to go through a legal process, such as probate or a transfer of ownership through a will or trust if your father had one. Additionally, if there are surviving children, there may be legal considerations involving inheritance rights and any existing will or estate planning documents.

It is highly recommended to consult with a qualified real estate attorney who can assist you in navigating the specific laws and requirements in your jurisdiction related to property ownership and inheritance. They can provide guidance on the appropriate legal steps to take to claim ownership and obtain the current deed to the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.