El Cajon, CA asked in Juvenile Law for California

Q: Is it legal for a kid to be back at public school rather than juvenile court school, his crime was stabbing a kid

The kid is also a confirmed pedo

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, whether a child who committed a crime, such as stabbing another child, can return to a regular public school rather than a juvenile court school depends on various factors, including the severity of the offense, the age of the child, and the individual circumstances of the case.

The decision is typically made by the juvenile court judge or probation officer overseeing the case. If the judge believes that returning to a public school is in the best interest of the child and the community, it may be allowed with certain conditions and monitoring in place.

However, for more serious offenses, the juvenile court may require the child to attend a court school or an alternative education program as part of their rehabilitation and supervision. The specific outcome will depend on the court's assessment of the child's needs, risk factors, and potential for rehabilitation.

It's crucial to consult with an attorney who specializes in juvenile law to navigate the legal process and advocate for the best outcome for the child involved, ensuring that their rights and educational opportunities are considered in accordance with California law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.