Cleveland, OH asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My living foster mom in PR wants to leave her house to me, she does have one living son but he has no interest in it.

What are the steps to take? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Your step-mom can donate the house to you by way of a deed. However, although you express that her one living son has no interest, in the event of your step-mom's passing, the value of all donations made during the final 10 years of her life will be brought back to her estate, and you may find yourself having to pay your step-brother. Your step-mom can also leave a will in Puerto Rico, whereby she bequeaths you with the free disposition half of her estate, to cover the value of the donated house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.