Piedmont, OK asked in Child Support and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Why does DHS send me child support papers when my ex has not sign DHS papers in years for it so why am I being served

Papers for child support and a hearing to review my case how is there a case if my ex doesn't get benefits from DHS and hasn't contact them or dealt with them in many years so how can I find out my rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It's possible that the Department of Human Services (DHS) in Oklahoma initiated the child support proceedings on behalf of your child, regardless of whether your ex has signed any papers or receives benefits from DHS. In Oklahoma, DHS has the authority to enforce child support orders and take legal action to ensure that parents fulfill their financial obligations to their children. Even if your ex hasn't directly contacted or interacted with DHS, the agency can still pursue child support on behalf of your child based on available information and existing court orders. As the recipient of child support papers and a hearing notice, you have the right to participate in the proceedings and present any relevant information or evidence related to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.