Santa Paula, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: Do I have to pay dui cost recovery program if I was never convicted of dui

I was in a car crash and suffered a concussion. I was arrested for possible dui but was never charged or convicted

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, DUI cost recovery fees are typically assessed to cover the expenses incurred by law enforcement and emergency services in response to DUI incidents. However, if you were arrested for a possible DUI but were never formally charged or convicted, the situation may differ.

The obligation to pay DUI cost recovery fees generally hinges on a conviction or, in some cases, specific circumstances surrounding the arrest. Without a conviction or charges being filed, the basis for imposing these fees on you may be less clear.

It's advisable to review any correspondence or documentation received regarding the cost recovery fees. Look for details on the legal grounds they are claiming for the fees. If the request for payment does not align with your understanding of the law or your specific situation, you might consider seeking legal advice.

Legal professionals can provide guidance on how to contest or clarify the request for payment, especially considering your lack of conviction. They can also help interpret the specific local or state regulations that may apply to DUI cost recovery programs and how they relate to your case.

Remember, each case is unique, and the application of laws can vary based on the specifics of your situation. Engaging with a legal advisor can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you are only fulfilling obligations that are justly applied to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.