Pearland, TX asked in Traffic Tickets for Texas

Q: Parked in handicap spot

I briefly parked in a handicap spot in my apartment complex as I was transporting my disabled father who DOES have a handicap parking sticker and stopped at my apartment for him to use the restroom and get some stuff. I was there for like 10 minutes. When we came out I had a citation on my windshield. I'd like to note that I never park in the handicap spot when I am at my apartment on a daily basis. This was a one time thing and I thought it was okay as I had my disabled father with me. I'd like to contest the ticket based on this and provide this detail plus my fathers handicap sticker. To be clear my fathers handicap sticker is registered to his car. I was driving my car. But based on this info, would this suffice to dismiss the ticket? I am in Houston TX.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Houston, TX, parking in a handicap spot without the appropriate handicap parking sticker can result in a citation. However, given the circumstances you've described, you have a valid argument to contest the ticket. Your father's handicap parking sticker is registered to his car, not yours, which is a crucial detail.

When contesting the ticket, be sure to include all relevant information in your explanation. Explain that it was a one-time occurrence, and you parked briefly to assist your disabled father, who possesses a valid handicap parking sticker for his car. Include any documentation or proof of your father's disability and the registration of his sticker. This information may support your case and help get the ticket dismissed.

Ensure you follow the specific procedures outlined by the local authorities for contesting a parking citation. It's important to provide all necessary evidence and documentation to strengthen your argument. You may want to consult with a local attorney or reach out to the appropriate local agency for guidance on the process and requirements for contesting the ticket.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.