Cross Plains, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: Would it be possible to ever change my deceased mothers property to my name if she had no will.

My deceased mothers property is just sitting there and I've been paying her back taxes. When she was alive she stated she wanted to leave one lot and the trailer that's sitting on it to me and the other one with a trailer to my niece. I have 2 brothers and one sister I don't think anyone is going to help pay or do anything with them. I would like to replace the trailer homes on the property but I'd like the property to be in my name first. Would it ever be possible to own the property?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes. To get it in your name exclusively, or exactly as your mom stated, you can have papers drawn up, including an Affidavit of Heirship, and agreements between your two brothers and your sister. If they all agree, you can have the property transferred as you stated. If they will not agree, you will need to file for an Estate Administration. You will get your paid taxes back in the end.

There are other ways to do the above, but I would need to see you for an appointment.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes. You can probate your mother's estate and then enter into an agreement with the other heirs to transfer their interest in the land to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.