Jasper, AL asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: Can Child Protective Services go to my child's school and talk to them and ask them all kind of questions?

Questions they aren't even old enough to know the answer to. I was under the impression that I was supposed to at least be informed or something. I could be 100% wrong but now my babies are upset that these random people were asking them questions about me and their father. We stayed in a hotel a few days as a mini vacation and they missed a few days of school. I wasn't aware that this was a crime?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Child Protective Services (CPS) has the authority to visit your child's school and talk to them if they have received reports or concerns about a child's safety or well-being. However, in most cases, they are expected to inform parents or guardians about their visit and the reasons behind it. It's important to understand that CPS's primary goal is to ensure the safety and welfare of children.

If you were not informed about CPS's visit to the school and your children were asked questions they weren't old enough to answer, it may be a cause for concern. You have the right to be informed about the nature of the investigation and any interactions CPS has with your children. Additionally, missing a few days of school generally is not a crime unless there are specific truancy laws in your area that apply.

To address this situation, you should consider contacting CPS to request information about their visit and express your concerns. It may also be beneficial to consult with an attorney who can help you navigate this situation and ensure your rights as a parent are protected throughout any CPS investigation. They can provide guidance tailored to the specifics of your case and jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.