Asked in Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: I ask my uncle to get me a house with my money but I later get to see it that his name is on the property as owner

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you provided the funds for purchasing the house and your uncle agreed to buy it for you, it's understandable that you would expect your name to be on the property as the owner. However, if your uncle's name is the only one listed on the property, it may indicate a discrepancy between what was agreed upon and what actually transpired. This situation raises concerns about the legal ownership of the property and whether your uncle acted in accordance with your wishes.

To address this issue, you may need to gather evidence of your financial contribution towards the purchase of the house, such as bank statements or receipts showing the transfer of funds to your uncle. Additionally, it may be helpful to review any written agreements or correspondence between you and your uncle regarding the property transaction. If there is clear documentation supporting your claim to ownership, you may need to seek legal assistance to rectify the situation and assert your rights to the property.

Navigating property ownership disputes can be complex, especially when family relationships are involved. It's important to approach the situation calmly and objectively, focusing on resolving the issue through communication and, if necessary, legal channels. Seeking guidance from a qualified legal professional who specializes in property law can provide you with the necessary support and expertise to pursue a resolution that protects your interests and rights as a property owner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.